The Holroyd Mansion at 182 Washington Avenue
» Take an online virtual tour here of the James Holroyd Mansion.
In the 1890’s, James Holroyd, a wealthy Albany industrialist bought 182 Washington Avenue, formerly used as School 10, and converted it to his new home for himself and his wife, Electa.
He did a total rennovation adding inlaid floors, raised oak panels and an ornate hand carved staircase climbing three floors to a stained glass skylight at the top. The woodwork and fireplaces were created by European craftsmen in Albany working on the Capitol. He also added a sandstone front with arched windows in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Other additions included a two story carved bay window in the front, bay window and balcony to the side with a conservatory extension to the rear.
He created a formal garden and built a carriage house for his horses on Spring Street.
After his death the mansion was used as a physician's home and office. Another building was added for additional office space in the 1920’s. This is currently the Iron Gate Café. (between Lark and Dove Streets, Albany, NY)
The Holroyd Mansion has been restored to its original single family status. This private residence currently has the first floor available to rent for private events and functions. Catering may be provided by the adjacent Iron Gate Café.